Here are the step by step picture instructions on how to prepare and fry mandazi or fried bread. (East African breakfast).
Plain flour 1/2 kg
Yeast/hamira 1 tbsp
Sugar 3 to 5 tbsp
Cardamom powder/hiliki 1 tbsp
Coconut milk (warm)
Cooking oil 1 littre
Warm water for kneading
1. In a bowl put flour and cardamom powder/hiliki
-Put yeast into warm water
2. Add warm coconut milk and more warm water if required,add yeast sugar mixture, mix well together knead for 15 to 20 mins or until smooth and it doesn’t stick to your fingers.
3.Cover the dough for 3 to 5 mins
4. Divide in to 3 to 4 small doughs (equal size)and make them a perfect round
5. Dust a flour on your work surface,using a rolling pin ,roll each round to make a good size depend on the size you want
or use a knife to cut in to 4/8 quarters let them rise for 40 mins-1 hour
6. In a pan heat the oil on a medium heat, when the oil is hot add your mandazi
and start fryng one side until done flip the other side until golden brown
Remove them ,remove and place on tissue paper to drain excess oil
serve with tea or curry.
Recipe Credit: swahilifoods.blogspot.com